👉NEW VERSION AVAILABLE HERE: 👈
Long distance motorcycle trip mistakes to avoid based on my own experience motorcycle traveling. I have ridden motorcycles all over and have learned many mistakes the hard way. I hope this video helps you avoid some of the common mistakes that I see new motorcycle travelers making.
Some of the top five mistakes for long distance riding are:
1) Over packing. Avoid this by using a scale to weigh what you want to pack, this will help you prioritize. You should also be working within your motorcycles load capacity, as well as the capacity for your saddlebags or cases. Using a scale will also help make sure your bike is balanced properly from side to side.
2) Not having a plan. Avoid this by planning a itinerary. Just make sure not to be too ambitious. If you can take more time to do less mileage and shorten the trip to fit your timeline. It is important to have some structure but avoid adding unnecessary pressure to yourself.
3) Too much focus on destinations. Try to switch the focus to route instead. Look for the most scenic and fun way to get from A to B. Cool places and pit stops will present themselves if you stay off the main highways and explore a little.
4) Staying in too many hotels. This will quickly deplete your budget and can easily be avoided by camping more or staying in Air BnB. Check out my video on finding inexpensive and free places to sleep on the road here:
5) Gear! Make sure you have the proper gear for the climate you will be traveling in. It is better to have a modular helmet that can be closed in bad weather, rather than having an open faced, 3/4 helmet that leaves you constantly exposed to the elements. Rain gear will be crucial on any long trip. Also make sure to wear all your safety gear all the time!
Hope these tips help you avoid some heartache on the road! Thanks for watching!!!
🤝 JOIN PATREON:
🏍️ BUY A TANK OF GAS:
🎁 SEND A GIFT:
📗 THE FUNDAMENTALS OF MOTORCYCLE CAMPING BOOK:
👍ITEMS MENTIONED IN THIS VIDEO AND GEAR I RECOMMEND (Some of these are affiliate links)
⚬ Wacaco Nanopresso:
⚬ Surviveware FAK & Wet Wipes:
⚬ AltRider: www.altrider.com
⚬ SHIRTS AND HATS HERE:
⚬ STICKERS HERE:
📧CONNECT WITH ME
🎬 SUGGESTED VIDEOS:
⚬ NEW HERE? START HERE:
⚬ BAJA MEXICO ADVENTURE:
🏍 WHO IS TIM COLLINS OF FTA ADVENTURES? (FORMERLY FORTY TIMES AROUND)
A lifelong adventure enthusiast and a long time motorcycle traveler, I have spent the last few years honing my craft as a motorcycle adventure specialist. I am currently living full time on my motorcycle, a 2015 BMW R1200GS named Lupe.
Motorcycle travel and camping have become my largest passions in life. I have a meticulous nature that helps me analyze gear, technique and tactics in a way that is highly beneficial to anyone looking to embark on a motorcycle venture of any scope.
Be sure to subscribe and hit the bell so you don’t miss anything: