Prescription medication can be very expensive. Even if you have health insurance, certain drugs can cost a lot of money. And yet, you or a loved one might need those drugs to survive. So, what can you do? Luckily there are many, many ways to save money on prescription drugs. If you’re struggling to pay for your medicine, take a deep breath. There are solutions out there for you.
Save Money on Prescription Drugs with Coupons
First of all, look for coupons to save money on prescription drugs. Chances are that you’ve already heard of GoodRx. Television commercials and pamphlets in doctors’ offices widely promote this app. It is one of the best resources out there to find the deepest discount on drugs at various pharmacies in your area.
Here are some other places where you can find prescription drug coupons:
- Right here on Saving Advice. We’ve rounded up information on where to get coupons for many of the most common prescription drugs.
- On the drug manufacturer’s website. Name brand drugs have websites. Those websites often have coupons. Alternatively, they may have a discount program that allows you save money on prescription drugs. Check out what they offer.
- At the pharmacy. Your pharmacist is often aware of common coupons for medication.
- From your doctor. First of all, ask if they have free samples. Then, ask if they have coupons. Sometimes they can help.
Work With Your Doctor to Save Money on Prescription Drugs
Your doctor can give you free samples and coupons. However, they can also do so much more than that to help you save money on prescription drugs. If you’re struggling to pay for your medications, then don’t hesitate to ask them for help. Some of the ways that they can help include:
- Switching you to a generic brand of the medication.
- Working with your health insurance to find the cheapest option for the drugs that you need.
- Trying you on a different medication that is more affordable.
- Prescribing a 90-day supply instead of a 30-day supply, which is sometimes more affordable per pill.
- Prescribing a different dosage. For example, they may prescriber a larger dose that you cut in half. This can save money.
- Giving you tips for adjusting your lifestyle so that over time you may need less, or none, of the medication.
Other People Who Can Help You Save Money on Prescription Drugs
Your doctor is the perfect person to start with when you’re seeking this kind of help. And, as aforementioned, your pharmacist is a terrific resource as well. But these aren’t the only people who can help.
Contact your health insurance provider. Ask to speak to someone who is able to assist you in reducing medication costs. They know how their insurance works from the inside out. Therefore, they can guide you in the right direction. Sometimes it’s as simple as using their mail-order service to get your drugs instead of going to the local pharmacy.
Of course, do remember that getting the right insurance for your needs can play a huge role in helping you save money on prescription drugs. Therefore, you might want to switch plans or even providers. But first, see if the company you already use can help you.
You might also try calling the drug manufacturer. They typically have a phone or chat service to assist customers. If they offer any discount programs, coupons, or samples, then they’ll let you know. Of course, you can usually find the information directly on their website. But it never hurts to ask if you don’t see it there.
Finally, consider finding an advocate. Sometimes it’s just really hard to figure all of this stuff out on your own. A medical advocate can make the calls, do the research, and lobby on your behalf. If you are involved with a “system” (DHS, for example, or you live in a nursing home) then your case manager or another professional there might be a good advocate. Let people know that you need help.
Other Tips to Save Money on Prescription Drugs
Use coupons. Get samples. Talk to your doctor. Work with other professionals. What else? Here are some additional tips to help you save money on your meds:
- Shop around for the best price on medication. GoodRx can help you find the best deals near you. Moreover, consider using different pharmacies for different prescriptions so that you get the lowest price on each and every one.
- Ask about the price of the medication with and without insurance. Even if you have insurance, sometimes the medication costs less without using it.
- Learn about Patient Assistance Programs. There are the programs that drug companies offer to help customers. Sometimes you can even get free medication through these programs.
- Learn about state assistance programs. You might be able to save money using a program such as Medicare Extra Help, for example.
- Review options for buying medication online. This can sometimes save you a lot of money. However, make sure that you’re using a reputable company. Do your research.
- Ask for prescriptions for OTC drugs. Do you take over-the-counter medication in addition to prescription meds? For example, do you take an allergy medication? If so, and if your health insurance covers the cost, then you might be able to get the medication for cheap or even for free. Saving money on those drugs helps save on your overall medication costs.
Don’t Stop Taking Your Meds
Sometimes it takes a little while before you find the right way to save money on prescription drugs. Don’t stop taking the medications that you need in the meantime. Sadly, many people do just that. Alternatively, they reduce the amounts they take. However, you got those meds for a reason. If you need them, take them.
Budget your money, making the medications a priority. Cut out all unnecessary expenses and put that money towards your medication costs. Earn side income if you can. Try a GoFundMe fundraiser to see if family and friends can help you pay these important bills. Take care of yourself.
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started. If you want to be able to customize your blog on your own domain and need hosting service, we recommend trying BlueHost. They offer powerful hosting services for $3.95/month!